CSELR has many attributes (i.e., programs, resources, and management methods) to ensure success in its mission and making it attractive for companies and government agencies to join and become active member participants:
- Members direct the research and set the research agenda – The member companies and agencies, through their representatives on the Industry Advisory Board, determine by a vote the research thrusts every year. Each project is assigned a mentor from one of the industrial advisory board members.
- Intellectual property – Center members have royalty free, non-exclusive rights to practice any intellectual property generated by the Center. Members also have the opportunity to obtain exclusive rights to intellectual property generated by the Center.
- Center research projects can mature to privately sponsored projects where the IP is not shared and is protected – Once a particular project of the Center (of a fundamental research nature) matures to the point where the results can be applied to applications, technology transfer projects (i.e., product development) can be established.
- Access to students for research and future employment.
- Commercial Networking – Research interactions with other companies, buyers of your technology, sellers, etc.
- Access to technical services – ASTM lubricant analyses and tribological tests. Tribological and corrosion resistant coatings and surface treatments.
- Workshops on tribology, surface engineering, bearing failure analysis, and lubrication.
Semiannual meetings are held to review projects, select new projects and conduct the policy-making business of the Center. Members have an opportunity to provide feedback on ongoing work, offer new ideas, and direct future research problems. An annual, comprehensive progress report on the Center’s projects is sent to Member Companies prior to the fall IAB meeting. This report is posted on the CSELR website to facilitate the flow of information throughout the Center member organizations. CSELR’s intent is to nurture long-term relationships and collaborations among the universities, companies, and organizations that are participating in the Center.