Dr. Gary L. Doll
Title: Professor & Dir, Timken Eng Surf&End Chair
Dept/Program: Engineering Dean’s Office/Department of Civil Engineering
- Timken Professor of Surface Engineering, The University of Akron, Akron, OH, September 2011 to Present.
- Director, Timken Engineered Surfaces Laboratories, The University of Akron, Akron OH, September 2011 to Present
- Chief Technologist of Tribology and Next Generation Materials, TheTimken Technology Center, North Canton, OH., April 2006 to September 2011;
- Scientist & Technical Director of Engineered Surfaces, The Timken Company, Canton, OH., November 2002 to April 2006.
- Sr. Research Specialist, The Timken Company, Canton, OH., July 1996 to November 2002.
- Staff Research Scientist, General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI. April 1991 to July 1996.
- Research Scientist, General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI. March 1989 to April 1991.
- Adjunct Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Chemical Engineering Department, Cleveland, OH, 2000 to 2002. Supervised Ph.D. thesis of student (Magnetron Sputter Deposition of Nanocomposite Thin Films). Contact: Prof. J. Angus
- Adjunct Professor, North Carolina State University, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Raleigh, NC., 1997 to 1999. Supervised Ph.D. thesis of student (Ion Beam Assisted Deposition of Boron Nitride Thin Films). Contact: Prof. J. Cuomo
- Adjunct Professor, University of Michigan, Nuclear Engineering Department, Ann Arbor, MI, 1994 to 1995. Supervised Ph.D. thesis work of student. (Electron Beam Deposition of Fe Thin Films). Contact: Prof. R. Gilgenbach
- Adjunct Professor, University of Maryland, Materials Science Department, College Park, MD, 1992 to 1993. Supervised Ph.D. thesis work of student. (Pulsed Laser Deposition of Boron Nitride Thin Films). Contact: Prof. L. Salamanca-Riba
- Visiting Professor, Oakland University, Physics Department, Rochester, MI 1989 to 1990. Taught graduate courses in Electromagnetic Fields and Waves and Mathematical Methods for Physicists. 2 Classes/wk, 1 Semester/yr. Contact: (248) 370-3416
- Executive Development for Global Excellence, Darden Business School, the University of Virginia, Graduate Certificate, June 2005.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA;Sept 1986 to Mar 1989; Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Joint Appointment in Physics and the Center for Materials Science and Engineering.
- University of Kentucky; Lexington, KY;Ph.D. in Physics, Dec 1986.
- University of Kentucky; Lexington, KY; M.S. in Physics, May 1983.
- Marshall University; Huntington, WV; B.S. in Physics, May 1981.
- At the University of Kentucky: Optical and Structural Properties of Synthetic Materials.
- At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Synthesis and Properties of Copper Oxide Superconductors, Phase Transisitons in Polyimides, Properties of Carbon Fibers and Carbon/Carbon Composites.
- At General Motors:Synthesis and Properties of Diamond and Group III-Nitride Thin Films, Electrorheological and Magnetorheological Fluids, Carbon Fibers, NdFeB Magnetic Materials, Surface Engineering of Mechanical Components
- At Timken:Surface Engineering of Mechanical Components, Tribology, Steel and Ceramic Bearing Materials, Lubrication, and Additives.
Awards, Accomplishments, and Affiliations:
- Westinghouse Scholarship: University of Louisville 1977-1979
- Westinghouse Scholarship: Marshall University 1979-1981
- NATO Summer Study Scholarship: Erice, Italy 1986
- NATO Summer Study Scholarship: Hebrew University, Israel 1988
- Member: AVS, MRS, ASM, STLE, ASME, and APS
- Elected to AVS Advanced Surface Engineering Committee
- Northeast Ohio Success Story “The Plain Dealer”, 23 December, 2002
- Symposium Chair – “Surface Engineering”, TMS 2000, MRS 2001, MRS 2002.
- President – “STLE Surface Engineering Committee”, 2003-2004.
- Chair – “SVC Tribological and Wear Coatings Committee”, 2000-2008.
- Symposium Chair – “Aerospace Surface Engineering”, ICMCTF 2006, 2007
- 24 US Patents granted, 7 US Patents Pending
- Elected Fellow ASM, October 27, 2009
- Chair – “ASME Wind Energy Tribology Committee”, 2010
- Over 150 publications in archival journals
- Over 75 invited presentation at international conference
Dr Paul J Shiller
Dept/Program: Civil Engineering-Timken Engineered Surface Laboratory